Sunday, November 6, 2011

Goal Announcement


As I’ve been saying all weekend, I want to lose more weight. The goal is 30 pounds in 90 days. That’s 30 pounds by February 5th. Here’s how it’s going to happen. I will follow the p90x workout schedule for all 90 days of the program. This is the resistance part of my program. But there is no reason I shouldn’t be able to do extra cardio. I’ll be doing approximately 8 hours of p90x per week and running between 13 and 20 miles per week beginning Monday. I don’t want to restrict my cardio to running alone, so if I decide that I want to ride my bike instead of running, I’ll multiply the distance by 4. I’m going to do extra cardio four times a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday). I chose 4 days a week so I can give myself some rest days to recuperate. Since weekend workouts are a little easier for p90x, I thought those would be the best days to recover. I know that I’m more likely to stick to a schedule if it’s set up for me, so I set one up.  And here it is:



I’ll complete this schedule 11 of 13 weeks. I’m aiming for 13, but we all know that things happen.

Food. My philosophy is to eat what you want, but within reason. The way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn in a day, so portion control is very important. In order to help me track my consumed calories, I’m going to get myself a food scale so I can measure things better. It’s just too hard to eyeball some types of food... like meat. I will also use measuring cups and spoons until I am comfortable with my estimates. I will then plug these things into www.fitday.com. I’ll aim for 2000-2500 calories a day. With the amount of time I’ll be working out, I think this should be about right. I will reevaluate the caloric intake at week 6 to see if I'm restricting too much and am feeling the effects (irritability, tiredness, etc.) I want to accomplish this goal an average of 5.5 days per week which means I want to do it at least 71 times. I imagine that Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years will be busted days. But that’s good because if your body gets used to something, it stalls. That's the whole premise behind p90x isn't it?

Alcohol. As I mentioned yesterday, drinking still plays a large role in my overindulgence of calories. One way to reduce my desire to drink is to remove the temptation. We still have a few bottles of liquor and wine and the refrigerator might have a six pack left in it. That's a lot less than we usually have around. Here are the rules this time… No drinking during the week. That’s Sunday through Thursday. The exceptions to this are if we are invited out to see people at a bar/restaurant/etc. and football season. I don’t NEED to drink when I go out, but I’m going to allow myself to enjoy the evening if I choose to do so, assuming I stay within my caloric limits. Sundays and Mondays are football days. Something I really enjoy is having a beer while watching my team play. So I’ll allow myself to have 1 drink during the Eagles game ONLY. If the Eagles play on Monday night, I don’t drink Sunday. If the Eagles play Sunday, I don’t drink Monday. It’s pretty simple. Friday and Saturday I can drink 4 beverages. I am not allowed to drink alone with the exception of my football drink. Since my wife is the only other person I know in our new town, I can’t drink without her unless we are visiting with friends. I’ll accomplish this goal 9 out of 13 weeks.

Water. I’m going to get myself back in the habit of drinking more water. This is going to be even easier this time and here’s why. The water at the new place tastes much better. Also, if I’m tracking calories, I’m not going to want to give up calories for food to drink a soda, juice or something else. That’d be ridiculous. I’ll drink my two liters of water 80 of the 90 days.

Measurements. I’m going to have my wife help me with measurements. She agreed to measure my body every other week to track progress. We’re going to measure the following: chest, waist, hips, shoulders, biceps, and neck. Not really a goal to write here. I’m just curious to see how my body changes.

Clothes. I have some clothes that I used to fit into that I don’t anymore. I’d like to be able to wear them again. Here are some pictures of me in those clothes. I decided that I no longer want to hide my face. Most of my readers are friends and family anyway, but I’m not embarrassed of who I am or what I look like. I just want to be healthier. Also, this might give me some motivation to get my hair cut!

 Red Polo. I used to wear this shirt for work a lot. I still like it and would like to be able to wear it with confidence.

 Here is a bike t-shirt my wife bought me a while ago. It never fit well, but I LOVE it. I really want to wear it.

 This is a t-shirt I got on our honeymoon in Curacao. I never tried it on before I got it. It never fit well. It's an XL. Caribbean XL must be different. haha

 When I lost weight in high school, this was the shirt I used for motivation. We dropped my brother off at college, I picked up this shirt, and swore I'd fit into it some day. I did, but now I don't again. Soon.

 Some slacks I got in my senior year of high school for an internship. I know they fit me then, because I wore them a lot.

 I wore this bathing suit to Key West after my freshman year of college, I think. I was in the 210 range and it fit pretty well. Not anymore.

 I got this bathing suit before my honeymoon because my wife said she loved it. I was trying to lose weight then too and thought for sure this would fit by the time we got married. It didn't. The tag is still on it.

Yuck. By the end of this, I will fit into them again. I’m not going to count this as a “goal” per se. I just want it to happen. It goes along with the body measurements.

As always, I’ll make it easy to track my goals. Here’s how you’ll see my goals on the side bar.

Weight: x/30
Workouts: x/11
Food: x/71
Alcohol: x/9
Water: x/80

See you Monday to get this Train back on track! WOO WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment