Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 11

This morning started off a little later than usual, but went just about as it always does. I had some breakfast (because I woke up hungry... weird), did my Yoga X workout, and then sat in the office for a little while to get some strength back before my run. Then things got bad.

It rained pretty much all day yesterday. When it was time for me to run, it was still raining. It was also really cold. 42 degrees. And windy. And not only do I have to run, but today was a 4 miler. I tried to see if the rain was going to stop at any point this afternoon. Nope. Radar showed a constant stream of rain that looked like it would probably only get worse. So I figured if it's gonna get worse, I might as well get it over with.

I got changed into my running clothes then went looking for stuff to keep me warm. I found my new skullcap that I got off the internet the other day. It has ear warmers built in. Then I put on the rain coat my mom got for me (Thanks mom!). Then I went looking for my gloves. I couldn't, and still can't, find them. My wife had a pair of gloves she got for free from the Philly Marathon she ran a few years ago, so I put them on and went out with my old shoes on. I didn't want to ruin my new running shoes.

As I predicted, the run started out cold. It wasn't raining too hard yet, but it was still windy, and despite the nylon rain coat, it was still hurting. Thank goodness for Beardvember, though. This beard was very beneficial. As I turned onto our street, I heard a weird noise. I never figured out what it was, but it almost sounded like a walrus bark. I ran over toward the beach but didn't see anything, so I kept going. The route I took was 3 miles almost exactly. During those three miles, I was pushing. I was keeping a 9 minute mile pace. Until I turned around, anyway. The rain stung. I'm convinced it even turned into freezing rain here and there. The mile and a half back was miserable. Then I had to turn around and do another mile.

For the entire run, I saw four human beings. One was an old lady walking with a grocery bag, two were a couple sitting in their car looking at the ocean, and the last one was a fisherman.

By the time I got home, I was freezing. I ran a little farther than 4 miles because I just wanted to get back inside. 4.09 miles in 39:24. I'm glad I did it. I'm more glad that it's over.

Of course, as I sat at my desk, looking out the window, the sky eventually cleared and the rain stopped. It also warmed up. Frustrating. I just keep telling myself that running in the cold, wind, and rain, builds character and I'm better for having done it.

For lunch, my wife and I split our leftover abondigas and each had an orange. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the office doing work.

My wife spent her afternoon blogging and working on her own business stuff. She also made some gluten free oatmeal raisin cookies. I'd show you a picture, but she admits that they don't look much like cookies. More like grenola. Substituting regular flour for gluten free flour didn't quite do the same thing. They were, however, delicious. I had one.

I want to reiterate that when I started this whole thing, I told you that I advocated for a lifestyle change. I'm not on a diet. I'm eating normal food, just healthier versions of it, and some of my old favorites. I'm not cutting out pizza, cheeseburgers, or chinese food. I'm just eating it less often and enjoying them more. Let me tell you that this cookie was absolutely outstanding. If I could have, I would have eaten the whole batch. What really held me back was how disappointed my wife would have been that they were all gone.

We're going away this weekend, so we didn't want to cook anything that was going to have leftovers. For dinner we decided on one of our favorites... Brinner. Breakfast for dinner is something we used to do on a weekly basis. I've been eating a lot of eggs for breakfast recently, so we haven't done it lately, but I had cereal today, so Brinner was on.

For Brinner, we typically do some kind of taco/burrito. It's usually the most healthy way to go about it. That way we don't have to deal with all the carbs of pancakes and waffles.


After we made dinner, I was kind of laughing about how they turned out. I normally do soft shells, but went with hard ones tonight just to try it out. It had been a while. But if you look closely, our breakfast tacos are basically regular tacos with egg. We have lettuce, tomato, beans, cheese, seasoned ground turkey (leftover from when we had tacos a few nights ago), and egg. Brinner? Sorta? Doesn't matter, it was good.

I finished dinner with just over 2000 calories. I have a few more tonight if I want them, but we'll see how my stomach feels. Looking forward to a relaxing evening in front of the TV or around the table doing puzzle with the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment