Monday, May 30, 2011

Start of Week 4

Today is Memorial Day. I'm on the last day of vacation before going home to celebrate my wife's graduation from her Physical Therapy program. She graduates on Wednesday (Day 23 for those who are keeping track). Tomorrow is a celebration with her class in the afternoon and then my in-laws are in town, so who knows what's going on after the celebration.

I weighed in this morning at 268. That's an increase of 0.5 pounds since last week. Am I upset? No. Why not? Because I probably should have gained a lot more than that! We had friends down for the last few days of vacation and I was drinking much more than I needed to. It is what it is, though. I knew I was going to be drinking when I was coming into this vacation and I thought that at best I'd be on track to meet my goal. Instead, I'm behind by a pound, but a pound is nothing. I am confident I can catch up again.

Here's the good news. Despite the amount I was drinking, I maintained relatively good eating habits. I found that I'm not just getting bored and searching for food as much as I used to. I am eating when I get hungry, just a little bit, and then I'm fine for a few hours. Even now, as I write, it's after 6:00 at night and I had a sandwich at 4:30 when we got off the beach. I'm not even hungry! Now, I confess that we went for a walk and got some fudge, but that's not very satiating, and I haven't had much. I'm also not all that interested in drinking today. Not that I went so overboard the last few nights that the thought of another drink makes me sick, I just don't feel like it today. Water sounds fine, although there is some juice in the fridge that's got my name on it before we leave the beach house.

Here's the bad news. I'm injured. I know for sure now. I just haven't given my calf a chance to heal. This means I've gotta take about a week off from running, which is disappointing because for the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying it. What are my alternatives? Cycling, maybe. I'm going to try it out tomorrow if I get some time. If not, I guess I'll have to get over to the YMCA and hit the pool for a while.

I knew I was hurt when I was out for a run with my wife yesterday. We were at mile 1.5, about, and I pulled up because my calf was hurting a lot. I tried to get back going, but by the end of my run, about 3 miles, I had stopped to walk numerous times and I was limping. I iced the calf and took it easy today, but it was still really bothering me, even to walk, especially on the beach. I'll see how this thing pans out, but I'm hopeful that the cycling will work out.

Here are my pictures for the week... probably not much change since last week.

Oh. I also got a little sun burnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment