Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 14: End of Week 2

Relatively productive day today. I woke up and went to church then spent most of the afternoon cleaning out my drawers and closet of clothes that don't fit or I don't wear. My wife had the idea to put clothes that are too small and I want to wear into a box together so that I can open the box in a few months and start wearing it again. Great idea!

When I had enough of the cleaning and organizing, I went for a run. I didn't want to go out today because I thought my legs needed a rest, but if I didn't go today, I wouldn't meet my workout goal... so I went for a run. I actually went on mapmyrun.com and mapped out a 5k. I didn't time myself, but it felt slow. I had a few instances on the run where I felt like I should stop which is different than wanting to. My legs were cramping up hard core and my calf actually got hot twice. Weird. My wife had no idea what that was about and neither did I. The second time, I stopped to stretch for a few seconds then finished the run. Overall the run was good, but I wish my legs weren't so tight.

I want to take a moment to reflect on the past two weeks and on the goals that I have set for myself. I feel like I am starting to change. Physically, it's easy to see on the scale. When I do everything right, I'm losing weight, which is great, but ultimately that's not what this 90 days is all about. I set goals to drink more water, drink less alcohol, and workout more to improve myself. Drinking water is great because it makes me healthier. I still don't enjoy the taste, but I hate it much less. Drinking less alcohol is much easier now that I'm two weeks in than I thought it would be. Working out is pretty easy. I'm finding that I enjoy it more than I used to. Running is still not quite like a long bike ride, but it feels good to be able to say that I just ran 3 or 4 or 5 miles. I might even try to do a half marathon sometime. I don't think I would have even thought about running 5 miles four or five weeks ago.

This is the most outstanding thing to me about this week. I worked out five times. On Tuesday I ran 4.5 miles and enjoyed it. On Thursday I did serious Yoga for the first time and didn't hate it. Friday I ran 5 miles in the rain and loved it. Saturday I went on a bike ride for three hours and 42 miles. Today, I ran a 5k. Before starting this 90 days, there's no way I would have been able to log almost 13 miles of running in the same week!

No comments:

Post a Comment