Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 18

I forgot to post last night because I was having such a great time with my wife on vacation! We got up and walked to breakfast. After that we went to a farm stand to grab some produce for the rest of the week/weekend and then walked home. I hopped on the computer and mapped out a run for us. It was a little over 4 miles, but we ended up not finishing.

When we left, the sun had already gotten pretty hot and it was a relatively humid day. We ran the first two miles or so and then hit the beach to run back home. Running on the beach is significantly more difficult than running on asphalt, but I was up for the challenge... before we left the house. Once we hit the beach, with the slope of the sand towards the water, it was too much for my legs.

I have a little bit of an injury that I'm trying to get over, but it's been nagging me since Sunday. My wife, the physical therapist, tells me I've injured the lateral head of the gastroc. For those of us who speak normally, the outside upper part of my calf muscle. It's been sore, which I expect with an injury like this, but it also has been shooting warmth down my entire calf muscle, which is very strange.

When we were trying to run on the beach, the slope was really putting a lot of pressure on that part of my leg, and since the waves had already tried to eat my feet, we took our shoes off and walked home. My wife went down to the beach without me for about an hour, and then made some dessert stuff for when our friends come to visit us this afternoon through the rest of the weekend. When she was done we grabbed a few beers and sat out on the roof deck of the beach house and enjoyed the weather and had some great conversations. I miss that.

For dinner, my mom and step-dad hooked us up with a gift card to the restaurant that we went to after I proposed. They said it was for our first year anniversary that is coming up in about two weeks. It was really nice. We split a bottle of wine at dinner. We even walked to and from the restaurant.

One of my favorite things about being down here is that we can walk pretty much everywhere we need to get to. We walked to breakfast, we walked to the farm stand, we walked to dinner, we even went for a run. This is something I want to transfer into my every day life, but unfortunately, I can't walk or even ride my bike to work... maybe when we move.

No comments:

Post a Comment