Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Inspiration

Inspiration comes from everywhere. I find a lot of inspiration in watching people, listening to stories, and reading. Reading is something that I've recently started to enjoy a lot more. I guess that's part of my "growing up" process. Of course, lately, I've been choosing books that I'm hoping will be inspirational and relevant to what I'm trying to accomplish.

During my last 90 day challenge, I posted some quotes from a book called "Born to Run." If you enjoy running and wouldn't mind reading a little bit of an anthropology-type book, you would really enjoy this. It's a very easy read. Written mostly in the style of say-a magazine article. Probably because the author occasional writes for Runners World magazine.

During my vacation two weeks ago, I demolished a book entitled "The Sportsman" by Dhani Jones. Dhani used to play linebacker for the NY Giants and Philadelphia Eagles. He completely revived his career while playing in Cincinnati for Bengals. This book, however, has less to do with football, and more to do with traveling. Dhani hosted a TV show called "Dhani Tackles the Globe" on the Travel Channel. This book recounts the adventures that he went on and gives you a behind the scenes look at what his life was like during the off season from the NFL and the "on season" of being a host of a travel show.

During his travels he did things such as muay thai fighting, cycling a Gran Fondo, participating in soccer, rugby, strongman, and even the highland games. Although he wasn't successful in each sport, he learned something from his time spent in each country.

While reading this book, I found a few quotes/stories that I want to share because I found them to be incredibly inspirational.


“One success, but that’s what keeps us going amidst all the difficulties and failures that we experience in whatever craft we’re trying to master.”
-Dhani Jones

“There’s always an ‘I’m not enough’ or ‘It’s too much.’ And a lot of the time, it’s bullshit.”
-Dhani Jones

And here is my favorite quote, said by Dhani's father...

“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.”
-Commander Samuel L. Jones (Father of Dhani Jones)

2 comments:

  1. How about this quote: "Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going"
    :)
    I also like the one that says something like, someone busier that you is running right now.
    :)
    Keep it up Matt!

    ReplyDelete