Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 14: Birthday Update

Hey, did anyone know that a hurricane came through here last night?

I haven't been posting much in the last few days because we've been really nervous about Irene coming through. My family has a beach house in Cape May that I'm still worried about, but it looks like we're gonna be fine here in PA.

Because of the state of emergency along the NJ coast, we couldn't get down to the beach house to secure it. My parents told me that they were having some friends down there move some furniture inside for us, but I really wanted to get down there to do some stuff to secure the house last week. If we find out that things were real bad down there, I'm sure I'll be down this week at some point to pick up the pieces.

I learned that I'm a little bit of a control freak. I don't like to feel like I have no control in a situation, whether it comes to small stuff like driving, or big stuff like weather. Maybe I need to work on the little stuff.

Yesterday was my 26th birthday. To celebrate, my wife, brother, and friend went on a 50 mile bike ride with me. It was a lot of fun. We were hopeful that we wouldn't get hit with the hurricane before we made it back, at least to the cars if not the apartment. After the second rest stop at mile 25 or so, we got annihilated with rain. Luckily, the downpour only last about 15 minutes or so.

We got to ride wet for a while, but eventually made it back to the start/stop area and had a great lunch. The rest stops on this ride were also really great. Lots of baked goods, shot blocks, gels, and one stop even had a gluten free section that my wife could enjoy.

When we got back to our apartment, we had a few beers, showers, and then relaxed until a few more friends showed up. We went out to dinner and then came home to enjoy some more beverages before going to bed.

This morning, my friends left early. Now I'm at home with my wife, relaxing, and enjoying some time with her. Today's also a rest day from working out, which is great. Although, I am looking forward to my run tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment