Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 15

My wife and I went for a long run today. 6 miles.

I spent my day at work dreading the very idea of this run. 6 miles is far for a big guy like myself. I also wasn't sure that I would make it through pain free. Turns out I didn't, but isn't that running?

I had to remind myself periodically that I cannot set limits for myself. I can do anything. It's nice to surprise yourself sometimes.

I used the idea of "chunking" to get through it all. I divided the run into a few different parts in my head. It's easier to get through when you feel like you're making progress. I also managed to map a run that was basically three of our normal runs combined. I got through the first one, no problem. Moved into the second part and I felt like I was flying. There was a large section of trail, which is fun, but it's definitely more difficult than road running... easier on the knees, but harder to run on. The last bit on the road felt like I was finishing up our normal 3 miler. Maybe because it was the same end, maybe because I was feeling good.

I noticed a little tweaking of different joints and muscles here and there. Foot, knee, hip, shoulder. Yeah... shoulder. When I got home, I took my shoes off really quick because I thought I had something in my shoe that was bothering me. Wrong. I have a blister. A big one. I'm hoping that it heals up before I need to run again on Wednesday.

The Garmin we use to track our speed wouldn't find the satellite, so we just clocked it. 58:23. That averages to a 9:41 mile. Not bad. I think our natural pace is somewhere between a 9:30 and 10:00 mile. I'm happy with our run tonight. Lots of workouts scheduled for the rest of the week. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment