Sunday, August 28, 2011

Healthy Meal 1: Chicken & Spinach Tacos


Tonight my wife and I were relaxing in front of the TV when she told me she was starting to get hungry and generously offered to let me cook by saying, "Want to try to make one of your healthy meals tonight!?"

Sure. What do we have?

So I look around in the fridge and in the pantry to start generating an idea. I start with the chicken and spinach. How can I make this work well? Not too hard to do, I guess, but I wanted to make it interesting. I decided on chicken tacos. But what else can I use?

Ingredients:
1 package of chicken
1 bunch of spinach, washed
4 hard or soft taco shells
1/3 sweet onion
1/2 tomato OR 1/2 can of diced tomato, drained
shredded cheddar cheese
extra virgin olive oil
garlic powder
salt
pepper

I chose to use a can of petite diced tomato with green chili peppers for my recipe.

Start off with the prep work. Rinse your baby spinach well in a colander.

Next, dice up your onion into small pieces.

Last for prep is to slice up the raw chicken. Slice it thin, about a half inch wide, and make strips that are about 2-3 inches long.

Now it's time to start cooking.

Heat about 1-2 Tbs of olive oil in a large pan. Once the oil is hot, throw the onions into the pan.


Once the onions are translucent, add the tomatoes. Let this mixture simmer for a few minutes until the juice reduces. Put the mixture into a bowl for later.


Rinse your pan and toss a little more oil on it. Let that heat up and then put your chicken on. Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until the chicken begins to brown.

Once the chicken is done, it's time to eat.

Put down a layer of spinach on a soft taco shell and then layer the chicken, tomato and onion mixture, and then top it with a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese.

My wife eats gluten free, so she doesn't normally eat soft taco shells. She made hers in hard taco shells and they looked beautiful!

If you decide to make this recipe, let me know how you like it! I'm not sure what the calories are in it, but I know that it's healthy. My wife always tells me to "eat the rainbow." That's not a skittles commercial. She means to make sure I eat lots of foods with a large variety of color. Just look at the picture and you can see the different colors. I've got red, green, white, and orange all on one plate. There's plenty of protein, at least 1 serving of fruits/veggies, if not two, as well as some dairy and a grain. That hits all of the major food groups and I must say... this tasted pretty delicious. Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment