Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 24: Doctor?

Today was my wife's graduation from her Doctoral program. She has a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree, at least she will when she's completed her last affiliation in August. But when she walked across the stage at graduation, they called her Doctor. Doctor... that has a nice ring to it. I'm incredibly proud of my wife! She also looked super smart in her cap and gown.

We woke up really early this morning to get down to the city for graduation. I spent the first hour or so by myself while she went to rehearsal. The only place I could find that was out of the heat and humidity was a McDonald's. I didn't think I could go in there without buying something, so I went in and got a fruit and yogurt parfait (not bad) and a glass of OJ. I'm proud of my decision making. Especially since I wanted to get a sausage, egg, and cheese bagel. I sat and read my book for an hour until my in-laws came and met me. I'm currently reading "It's All About The Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels" by Robert Penn. I figured I'd stay with the athletic books after finishing "Born to Run."

My in-laws and I left to go find some friends. One of my wife's good friend's husband was there with his in-laws, so we all sat together at graduation. Our wives program was the second to walk. Which put them at number 6 and 16 respectively. Out of 640 students. Needless to say, we loss interest quickly. When graduation ended we took pictures and then went for a walk through the city to grab some lunch.

My in-laws chose a nice little Italian place. Lunch was at 2:00 or so and until then all I'd eaten was a bowl of cereal and a clif bar. I had grilled sausage with grilled veggies and broccoli rabe. No starches. Delicious, and mostly nutritious. My in-laws told us they would drive us back to the train station so we didn't have to walk in the heat. It was much appreciated. I'm all about being outside and I normally don't mind walking through the city, but I hate being hot and sweaty, at least when I'm dressed up.

We came home and I fell asleep. For those of you who don't know me very well, I'm not a napper. I was exhausted, though, from the past few days of waking up early and going to bed late. My wife got me up at 6:00 so I could work out before dinner. I ended up doing a 20 minute Yoga lesson. Namaste. It was relatively difficult, but probably not long enough. Just what I needed for today, though. I was too tired for a bike ride.

My wife wanted Chinese for dinner, so we ordered that. I tried to stay away from the fried foods, but I couldn't say no... it's her graduation dinner! We enjoyed the dinner and are now watching a movie together. Tomorrow I'll be back on track. I've got a long day of work and hopefully a deliciously nutritious dinner waiting for me when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment