Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 31 & 32

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post last night. I was pretty busy with work. My brother in law has been staying with us for a few days to shadow a friend of mine at work, and my wife was trying to use my computer to study while I was decompressing for the day.

Yesterday was actually a pretty different day than I've had in a long time, overall it was relatively boring since I spent most of the day working, but I woke up and went for a bike ride which was new. Normally my rides are reserved for the weekend or evening time. Being out of the house before 8:00 for a ride was actually pretty nice. I did a short ride, though, just 13-14 miles in a little less than an hour, but I had a good average speed (17.2mph) and I did it on an empty stomach. I felt strong, which was awesome. Something I'll have to try again. Hopefully that strong feeling translates into my ride on Sunday... there will be many more hills and they'll be longer and steeper. I'm still psyched for it, though.

Today was relatively uneventful. It's extremely hot outside today, 100 degrees from what I've heard, and by the time I had finished enough work to be able to get out for some kind of workout, it was way too hot. I thought I'd wait for tonight to do something, a short run, maybe some tennis, but I got side tracked cooking dinner, then eating dinner, and now my wife wants to go to Rita's. I'll take the opportunity for the walk (if this storm holds out for a little). Hopefully I can do a short run in the morning, very slowly, to keep my calf from blowing out. It's felt better for the last few days.

So no big inspiring speeches or anything today. I did spent some time watching a running movie about Steve Prefontaine who was an incredible runner in the 70's but was killed in a car accident at the age of 24 or so. I really enjoy watching movies and reading about people who are inspiring athletes. Lance Armstrong may be an exception because I don't have a very high opinion of him as a person, although I admire what he's done for cancer research.

Anyway, I'm excited to get back out running again, I hope that I can do it in the morning, but I'll have to see how I'm feeling and really listen to my body. I'm definitely getting older and more mature because I've been told for years to listen to my body and stop when it hurts and do all those things, but I never listened. As one of my friends has famously said, "If it hurts, add weight." Very recently I told him, "If it hurts, stop, you're gonna injure yourself." I need to take my own advice sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment