Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 27: Coke is made of magic and smiles

That's right folks. Coke IS made of magic and smiles. With my new healthy lifestyle, I can't say I would normally advocate for drinking a coke, but in this case I will. Here's why.

After I went to see my dad today, I decided I was going for the two day century (100 miles in two days). Since I did 40 miles with my wife yesterday, I wanted to ride 60 today. Unfortunately, my wife was working and my brother was helping his girlfriend move, so I went solo. I got on the trail at around noon. I rode from one end of the trail to the other, which is almost exactly 27 miles.

On my way down, I stopped at mile 17 for a breather because I was bonking big time. For those of you who don't know what the word "bonk" means, it basically means I was getting too tired to continue. I waited for a minute and had some Gatorade, then figured, if I go to the end, I have to get myself back somehow. And I also knew that if I went another 7 miles or so, I would run into a gas station that I usually stop at to get some more water and A COKE. Before I got to the end of the trail, I actually started a conversation with a guy who was wearing a City to Shore VIP Jersey. He told me that one of the roads I was planning on taking was going to be a bad way because there was a big festival or something going on, so I went to the other side of the river at this guys recommendation. It was AWESOME because the road was shut down for bikes and runners so we just went down the middle of the road and talked.

When I turned around, the other guy left me. I stopped at my gas station for water and a coke. At that point, I was really dying. I thought that I was going to be in big big trouble pretty soon. I had a few sips of Coke and then left it in my jersey pocket to drink later. By the time I got on my bike again, I was feeling better. I made it another 10 miles or so and was feeling fine as far as my bonk went, but my feet were starting to fall asleep. I stopped for a few minutes to let them breath, finished my coke, and then got back to work. I met up with another guy who was wearing a Pennsylvania Hospital jersey. We ended up riding together for the rest of the time.

We were drafting off of one another pretty well. Another guy wearing a Mellow Johnny's jersey grabbed onto our wheels and followed for a while. As a side note, Mellow Johnny's is the name of the bike shop that Lance Armstrong owns. This guy had a lot to live up to for wearing that jersey. He pulled off at a park and then passed us a few minutes later. I decided I was going to jump and see if I could catch him. I was doing about 25mph to catch him, then held on at about 23-24mph until a cross wind hit me and I lost him. My legs were about to explode. When I got back to my car, I was at 54 miles. CRAP! I had to turn it around and go back an extra 3 miles so that when I turned around, I could total 60. When I got back to the parking lot, I was still under 60! DAMNIT! I did circles around the parking lot until my odometer hit 60, completing my two day century.

Ride stats:
Time: 3hours, 37 minutes
Distance: 60.06 miles
Avg Speed: 16.6mph
Max Speed: 36mph

So now I'm home, trying to chug water to rehydrate, and I'm going to relax the rest of the night. When I got home I checked my weight to see what I'd lost on the ride. 4 pounds. And I drank 4 full 20oz bottles on my ride, plus a 12oz coke, and about 10oz more of water. Wowzers. Tomorrow... Manayunk Bike Race!

No comments:

Post a Comment