Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 30: 1/3 there

Today is a pretty pivotal day. As of this morning, I am a third of the way through my first 90 days. Time for some reflection.

I've said before that I think my water goal is pretty much met. I will continue to track it for the purpose of this blog, but I'm relatively certain that this is one of those habits that only take a week or two to create. Try it and see.

The workout goal is great! I can't wait to work out every day. I feel so great afterwords and I feel like I've accomplished something when I'm done. I'm beginning to think that I enjoy running. Since my calf injury cropped up, I haven't really been able to go out and run much. Also, since I'm training for the bike ride this weekend, I'm really focused on getting time in the saddle. My wife really loves to run, and I like to work out with her. Cycling is fun for her to a degree, but she's a runner at heart and I know that. I would love to be able to say that I ran a half or full marathon, and maybe I'll make that a goal for myself at some point, but for now, if I can hit a 8 mile run on a regular basis, I'll be thrilled!

Alcohol is no problem anymore. I am completely in control of myself and don't even think about it nearly as often as I used to. There are times when I see others drinking and want a drink just because others are having one. It's like when you walk into a restaurant and you're not really hungry, but you see a server walking out with a plate of food that looks and smells so good that you're all of a sudden starving and want exactly that plate of food. Here's the thing, though... I still really enjoy the taste of alcohol. I love beer and scotch and rum. I have a pretty good pallet for it. That's why I still allow myself the occasional drink.

I don't want to deprive myself of life's pleasures. In the past that's why my diet/workout plans have failed. I wasn't able to enjoy myself. Last night I had nacho's for dinner. But when I felt full, I stopped eating. That never used to happen. I even tweeted that my full-o-meter just started working again. I think for the first time in about 10 years or more. I now know what it feels like to feel full. It's really a wonderful feeling to know that I'm changing myself for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment