Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 75

It is stinking hot outside. I've been almost too absorbed with work and the Tour de France to notice, really. I've been spending most of the day time inside in the air conditioning. I tend to go out at night to visit with clients and by the time I get home, it's almost dark outside.

I told my wife last night that I was going to go to the YMCA today because I knew it was gonna be hot and I wanted to work out. I thought about it this morning while watching today's Tour stage and realized something. I hate the gym. A lot. I'm not intimidated by the gym, I'm just bored there. If I want to run, I want to move, not bop up and down on a treadmill while I stare at a wall. If I want to ride a bike, I want to feel the wind in my face. I want to suffer up hills and bomb down them. Shoot, if I want to build muscle, I don't want to lift weights, I'd rather pick up rocks or trees, move things around, maybe build something and actually accomplish something!

So screw the gym. I went for a run.

Stupid, I know. It was 100 degrees when I left my apartment. I have no idea what the heat index was, but I imagine 110 or so. I was feeling great for the first mile. I went on my normal run into Narnia. On the way out, the heat smacked me in the face and made me want to die. The heat did a number on my state of mind. I normally think that it takes a strong mind to overcome a "wall" when running. Today, I needed something else for sure. I didn't have a long run planned because I knew it was hot, but I was hoping to get more than a mile and a half in. I ended up walking most of the way home. Narnia truly is a crazy place. I hope to get pictures for you soon.

When I got home I decided to round out my workout with some Yoga, just to keep myself honest and get my full half hour in. Yoga was fine, but I'm still not huge on working out in my living room.

I'm concerned for the weekend. Normally I use the weekend to get some seriously hard workouts in, but this weekend is different. It's hotter than normal. I will certainly not be going outside for a workout tomorrow. Not after today. Sunday may be a different story, but I think the forecast is thunder storms. Crap.

Hopefully this heat goes away soon so I can get back outside. I don't want to go to the gym... I hate it there.

4 comments:

  1. I just found your journal after you posted on someone elses.. I forget who it was..

    I too read the article about how 90 days change habits and decided to give it a try, the day that it finally stuck was may 9th, so far so good... good luck to BOTH of us!

    As someone who has constantly fluctuated and finally lost 60 lbs in the past 2 years, I know how hard it can be, the only thing that you can do is keep trying!

    I also work in the mental health field as a TSS, and unfortunately have to make frequent stops at convenient stores and can totally empathize with you on how hard it is NOT to get the chips and candy over the healthy hard boiled eggs and carrots!

    Keep up the good work and KNOW that you are inspiring others.

    P.S...
    Borders has been bankrupt for awhile... unfortunately, so has Barnes and Noble :( You should buy things from Amazon, it is so much less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broke and Fabulous, thanks for the kind words. I do hope to be inspiring other people. I just am not so sure that my progress as of late is worthy of inspiration. I'll get the ball rolling again soon. Also, congrats on the weight loss! That's wonderful!

    It's funny that you work as a TSS. I'm a BSC/MT in Chester County. I wonder if we've ever crossed paths.

    As for the books, I looked at the prices on Amazon. Barnes & Nobel was cheaper, and I got free shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously?! I am a TSS in Chester County, but not for much longer because I am moving to Pittsburgh soon. What a weird coincidence... I think we actually MIGHT have worked together for a very short period of time. My name is Christie.

    I've only read a few of your entries but I'm sure that so many people can relate to the challenge of losing weight the RIGHT way and keeping it off. The fact that you are sharing this challenge and your results with the public is inspiring in itself. I don't know if I could ever do it!

    I think it takes much longer than 90 days to form habits. I read somewhere that it takes 5 YEARS to form healthy eating habits without falling off the wagon. I really hope that it doesn't take that long, but it makes me feel better because I still have a hard time sometimes, even after 2 years. Don't beat yourself up.. even if your weight is fluctuating, as long as the weight is going down, that is what's important, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I connected the dots correctly, your last name is Hicks and we definitely worked together on a case in Phoenixville.

    I agree that 90 days seems like a short time to form some habits. The goals I created I think test the theory. Forming a habit to drink more water was easy. The alcohol and eating habits are a little more difficult than that. I'm not convinced I'm done with either of those goals. The workout goal I think is pretty set at this point. I enjoy it more, which is really what that goal was all about in the first place.

    ReplyDelete