Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 63

I'm long overdue for an update. I missed the 2/3 mark (day 60) on Thursday of last week. My world has kind of been taken over by work and the Tour de France. I've spent a lot of time in front of the TV watching the professionals racing around France.

My neck is mostly healed now. I'm back to working out outside again. I did a run with my wife on Friday and a bike ride with my brother yesterday. I visited a place that we refer to as BONK CITY. On our 50 mile ride, I flatted in the middle of a category 5 climb. I didn't have a tube, luckily I called my brother back and he wasn't too far up the road, so he heard me and stopped so I could replace my tube. Once we got started up again, I was feeling pretty ok, until about mile 20. I hadn't been eating at all, but I also was running out of water fast. I bonked hard. I wanted to just give up it was so bad. Around mile 30 we got to a Wawa convenience store. I got a gatorade, a coke, a snickers, and a gallon of water to split with my brother. Coke did not fix me this time. Neither did the snickers.

By the time we were about 10 miles from my apartment, I was totally spent. My quads were both shaking from exhaustion when I stood. My hamstrings were so tired that they were in spasm periodically. My calves even joined in with a little twitching. Basically, what that means, is that my legs were toast. Burnt toast.

Here's what our route looked like... elevation-wise.
We climbed just under 1500 feet and had two category 5 climbs. The second wasn't too bad, but I was exhausted, so it seemed much worse to me.
Today, I'll be at my brothers place for a while working on some new jerseys for our City to Shore bike ride. We'll hopefully be deciding on something today and then we'll need to get our hands on some sponsors. Anyone interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment