Sunday, December 4, 2011

Yahtzee!!!

Yesterday was a wonderful day. We got our new dog, Yahtzee!

We arranged to pick her up at 8am in northern NJ, so we had to get up at 4:45 to make the 2.5 hour drive. I can tell you that it was worth it, though.

When we met the transporter, she was very scared. She cuddled up next to my leg for a minute and was breathing very heavily. She also seemed cold. She refused to get into the car with us, so the transporter picked her up and put her in next to me in the back seat. For the ride home, she laid next to me, put her head in my lap, and slept.

When we got home, she was scared and curious at the same time. We let her walk around outside for a while, then brought her in to explore the house and gave her some water.


She drank 3 entire bowls. I guess she was thirsty. She's also a messy drinker, but that might have been because she was so thirsty! I swear, I thought the downstairs was going to flood. If you look close at the picture above, she has water dripping off her face. I think she tried to swim in her water bowl.

Later we took her over to the beach. She seems very motivated by going outside. If she thinks there's a chance to go out, she runs over and jumps at the door. We're working with her on sitting before she goes out or comes in.

She certainly seemed to enjoy the beach.


I took her for a little jog to get some energy out. She'd spent most of the day sitting in a dog crate in a van, then sitting next to me in the car. Time to stretch those legs!


She was a little scared of the waves rolling in, but wasn't afraid to get close to the water. She sniffed around a lot, but didn't go in.


She's been pretty pleasant so far, just hanging around. She LOVES attention! She's still a puppy, so she jumps around and pulls on the leash a little because she's so curious about everything. Overall, though, she's got a pretty calm demeanor.


Last night we took her to the Christmas Parade in Cape May. I brought some chew treats with me so she could have something to do. She was fine for the first hour and a half or so, then it was time to leave. She was cold and bored, but she did pretty well. To be honest, it was kind of nice to have an excuse to go home. Not because the parade wasn't awesome, but because I was freezing!

She barked at some of the other dogs at the parade. We're pretty sure the barking was because they weren't paying attention to her.

This morning at the beach, though, she barked at a couple of PEOPLE. I didn't like that, but she seemed scared by them. We're going to work that out of her, though.

I'm going to be working with her this week on clicker training. I want to teach her a lot of basic obedience commands and see if I can't get her playing fetch. She's not showing much interest in balls, but I want to get her running around to get some exercise. I can't let her off the leash, so the only freedom she's got to run is in the house or at the dog park. We'll make sure she gets plenty of exercise regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment