Monday, September 5, 2011

Start of Week 4

I'm in pain.

Yesterday my wife and I did our 7 mile run. I thought I'd be a little sore, but I'm limping around the apartment on this beautiful Labor Day with pain in my hip/quad, calf, and I have a huge blister on my foot. Again.

I am happy that we did that run, though. It's cool to see how far I can go. I could have gone farther too. My lungs were fine. I ran through a wall at about mile 3/4, but was good to go after that. I think the physical pain was really the hardest part of the run. Not just the normal aches and pains, but the pulled muscles and blisters.

I talked with my wife, remember that she's a Doctor of Physical Therapy, about whether I should continue with our normally scheduled workouts this week. She said that I should probably take a few more days rest to let my muscles heal up. Hopefully the blister heals up too.

So instead of our 25 mile ride scheduled for tomorrow, we'll do nothing. Wednesday is supposed to be a 5 mile run, but we'll see if I'm up for that. Thursday is a 3 miler followed by a 65 mile ride on Friday and an 8 mile ride on Sunday.

We'll be going down to the beach late Wednesday night and return home on Friday evening. This might put a damper on our workout schedule. We might have to push the bike ride off and just do runs down at the beach. It could be more fun that way anyway.

Despite feeling inclined to push through my injuries, I'm going to take off a few days here. Growing up participating in sports, you're always taught to push through the pain. You see professional athletes push through the pain too. They're role models when you're a kid. This is a lesson I repeatedly have to learn. Take time off when necessary to let your body heal. Taking a few weeks off to recover from a serious injury isn't worth it if you can take a few days off to heal up before something worse happens.

Anyway, the moment you've all been waiting for... PICTURES AND WEIGHT!

This morning: 254. Down 5 pounds from last week. Almost back on track.


No comments:

Post a Comment