Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 2

When I write goals, I anticipate that they're going to be challenging, but doable. I'm debating right now if I've bit off more than I can chew this time.

The weight loss, calories, and exercise goals are absolutely attainable. The time and clean eating goals may not be. It became abundantly apparent to me when I went grocery shopping last week that the clean eating goal may not be realistic. Not because I can't find foods to eat, but because the good options are super expensive. So while my wife and I try to stick to a budget so we can pay all of our bills and save some money, I'm spending extra on already outrageously expensive cereal? I don't know about that... I'll have to see how things go this week at the store and decide if this is really a good goal to attempt. That's not to say that I can't continue to concentrate on eating better foods, but I may not be able to eat clean for an entire day.

My "Time" goal is becoming frustrating. I'm finding that I can't sleep because I'm hungry when I go to bed. I'm eating within my calorie range, but on days when I run and burn 600+ calories, I can almost feel my stomach eating itself by about 9:00pm. Having an 8:00pm time limit seems too early at this point. Especially on nights when I'm working until 8:00, that means I'm done eating at 7:00 or earlier. As last week progressed, it became obvious to me that I need to move the time to 9:00 instead of 8:00 so I can get some freakin sleep!

My wife and I have been training for this half marathon on April 1st, and as part of our training, we do our "long run" on Saturday. Over the weekend, we had 11 miles scheduled. If any of you are in the area, you'll remember what last weekend felt like. Cold and windy. Not just normally windy, but 45mph wind gusts (at least) windy.

Although we completed the run, it wasn't a whole lot of fun. It was as if we were running on a treadmill without the belt going. I swear at some points I could have opened my arms and leaned into the wind at a 45 degree angle and been fine. It felt like we had a headwind for 75% of the run. I only distinctly remember feeling wind at my back for about a half mile stretch along the beach. The cross winds were just as brutal as the headwinds. I kicked myself a few times because the wind blew my foot into my other leg! Ridiculous. It was good training, at least, for our half, because we're expecting it to be windy. Hopefully not THAT windy, though!

This week is posing a few problems for training. My wife is working at a different location one day this week, which gets her home around 5:30 or so... sunset. I also have a client scheduled at 7:00, so by the time we cook and eat, there's no time to run together. I'll have to do it solo that day. I also am going to see my dad for a Flyer's game on Thursday, so I can't run with the wife that day either. Then on top of that, we have friends coming this weekend, so we can't do our normal Saturday long run (12 miles this week). I mean, I'm not complaining... I love getting to see my dad and have friends come visit. I'll just have to figure out a different run schedule, maybe use this as a "rest week" and hit it hard the following weekend for the 12 miles, and then taper down before we run the half.

Ok, enough of the boring stuff, let's get down to the business.

Weigh in this morning was 232.5. Back to where I ended last cycle. I knew that 5 pound weight gain wasn't real weight... no way would I have lost 4.5 pounds based on the way I ate this weekend. I must have been holding water. Regardless, progress is good.

Here are the pictures from this morning.


See ya next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment