Monday, July 9, 2012

Start of Week 2

This week was a roller coaster. I lost a bunch of weight really early on in the week. In fact, I had gotten down to 228 at one point. I knew it wasn't real weight, probably water weight. It was so hot here that I've pretty much been swimming in a pool of sweat since the heat wave came in two weeks ago. I woke up this morning at 231.5 again.

Although I'm not shocked, I'm disappointed at the weight. I should be lower. I know exactly what I did wrong, though. While using my 1/3 extra calories from the longer workouts, I pushed a high calorie day back so I could eat more. So on Friday, I went for a bike ride, burned 1800 calories, ate back 1/3 of them, and instead of having pizza that night, we had salads with chicken on them to stay under my new calorie budget. Pizza was eaten Saturday instead, which really messed me up. Not to mention the alcohol. Ugh. Mistakes were made, lessons were learned. I'll fix it this week. I will not be pushing off a high calorie day because of a workout again.

Last week I did something I've never done before in my life. I ran 14 miles. My wife and I got up at 5am to try to beat the heat, and went out running. I used a hydration pack, she brought a water bottle and some cash. We stopped at a Wawa for some calories and water, then got back to running. By the time we got finished with our half marathon (13.1 miles), we were both really struggling. The heat does terrible things to a run. I finished, not strong, but finished. I thought my legs were going to be shot for the rest of the weekend. However, I recovered pretty quickly.

Saturday morning, I was planning on going out for a short bike ride to work the kinks out of my legs. Once I got going, I was pulling 20mph into a slight headwind. It felt awesome! Until I ran over a nail and punctured my tire. Once I got off, pulled the nail out, and threw it in anger, I realized that I didn't have a spare tube with me. I was able to patch the tube, ride to a bike shop, buy a new tube, and get going again at full speed. Unfortunately, my water was pretty much gone and I didn't have the money to go to a store to buy more, so I went home. I ended up being out for a little over an hour and a half and averaged over 18mph.

I also did a baseline test for my pushups this weekend. I completed 25 with good form. I could have probably squeaked out a few more, but I stopped at 25. I really just needed a number to get me started in the program. I also hit my calorie goal 5 times this week, and completed all of my workouts.

Here are some pictures.


Little blurry on the side picture, but you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment